VETERANS’ CORNER: Want to help veterans? Veterans services office knows how you can

By CHRIS SNELL, guest columnist

Welcome to July! We are heading into the second half of the year with great momentum and do not have plans of slowing down! I am full of joy serving every single one of our veterans.

Are you interested in supporting veterans through charitable giving? The Brown County Veteran Services Office is accepting donations — cash or check — to help support our veterans of Brown County through new ordinances that created non-reverting funds for the Brown County Veteran Services Office.

The funds are listed below in a summary and the ordinance for these funds can be found at the county recorder’s office.

1. The Veterans Transportation Network Fund directly supports Access Brown County by helping pay for maintenance and operational support while they continue to transport veterans to their Veterans Affairs appointments in Bloomington, Martinsville, Camp Atterbury and Indianapolis. You can mail checks to: Brown County Veteran Services Office c/o Veterans Transportation Network Fund at 902 Deer Run Lane Nashville, Indiana 47448.

2. Financial Assistance for Brown County Veterans Fund supports veterans who are struggling to pay for needs such as housing, utilities and travel. These funds will be supplied directly to the collector and an application for support must be submitted by the veteran before receiving any payments. You can mail checks to: Brown County Veteran Services Office c/o Financial Assistance for Brown County Veterans Fund at 902 Deer Run Lane Nashville, Indiana 47448.

We encourage you to give in this way to assist our veterans of Brown County. Your support is greatly appreciated and if you cannot give personally, tell your friends and family about these opportunities to give.

Access Brown County is looking for drivers to transport veterans. If you are interested in becoming a paid driver for Access Brown County? Please apply at the Brown County YMCA building in person or call 812-988-0185 for more information on how to become a driver!

Are you a veteran in need of transportation assistance to VA facilities? If you are a veteran and need transportation assistance to your medical appointments, contact Access Brown County at 812-988-0185 to schedule your ride! These rides are for all age groups of veterans, and they are free!

All invited to picnic

Veterans and their families are also invited to a Fourth of July Pitch-in Picnic on Monday, July 4. The annual pitch-in picnic is hosted by the American Legion Post 13 and will be at Deer Run Park.

The lunch will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. The American Legion Post 13 will provide meat and drinks. Everyone else can bring a dish or dessert as part of the pitch-in!

Helping hands

If you are a veteran or know a veteran who needs help in filing paperwork with the VA, schedule an appointment with me by calling the office at 812-988-5600, emailing me at [email protected] or calling and texting the work cell at 812-322-9086.

We are also looking for community partners and volunteers at the Brown County Veterans Service Office.

Are you interested and want to help? Call us at 812-988-5600 or email [email protected] for more information.

If you are a community resource of any type, I would love the opportunity to travel to your location in support of educating veterans and their beneficiaries of their benefits. Requests can be submitted to [email protected]

Ways to connect

Office phone: 812-988-5600

Cellphone for call or text: 812-322-9086

Staff email: Chris Snell, Veteran Service Officer: [email protected]




Stay cool this July!

Chris Snell is the veterans service officer for Brown County. He can be reached at 812-988-5600 or [email protected]